Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: I thought all of your Router Bits were Made in the USA. Why offer MLCS Router bits if they are made overseas?
- A: Eagle America was founded in 1989 to provide woodworkers with the highest quality, American-made router bits they could find. We still stay true to that goal today and Eagle America brand bits are our lead brand, they are what have gotten us to where we are today. However, our customers also wanted a lower-priced option to fit tight budgets. In today’s economy, people need options. They need the ability to pick and choose where they spend more money and where they need to save. We wanted to give you, our woodworking friends, the ability to meet both of those needs in your woodworking. We want to be your one stop shop for everything router – bits, accessories and routers themselves. Offering both Eagle and MLCS Bits lets us do this.
- Q: What is the difference between Eagle America and MLCS brand router bits?
- A: Both brands are the best in their competitive niche, so you are comparing the best to the best. Eagle America bits are the best professional quality router bits you will find when comparing them to others that are Made in the USA or imported from Europe. MLCS bits give you the best quality of cut when comparing them to other bit brands that are imported from Taiwan and China. For a more in-depth comparison of Eagle America and MLCS bits to one another, click here.
- Q: I want to buy a product from you, but I don't know the part #. How do I find it?
- A: There are three easy ways to locate products on our site. First, use our Product Search Feature at the top of the page to find anything you need. You can search by part number or product description. Simply type in the information you have and see what the site comes up with. Second, you can browse our product categories found at the top of the page. All of our products are organized into categories based on the primary use of each item. Finally, you can try searching through our online catalog. You can flip page-by-page through the latest print catalog right on your computer and order in a few clicks. NOTE: Some items are online only and do not appear in our print catalog, so they would not be found this way.
- Q: What is Catalog Quick Order? How does it work?
- A: Quick Order makes it very easy for you to order online out of your print catalog. If you have created a shopping list out of your catalog and want to order online, Click the "Quick Order" link at the upper right of the page. Enter your item numbers and quantities into the form and click "Add Items". The Catalog Quick Order screen will notify you if you mistype a part number or if the part number you requested is not available on-line. Then, you're ready to begin Checkout.
- Q: I'd like to order some items from your catalog but I can't find them on your website, what should I do?
- A: Use our Catalog Quick Order form. See the question above for an explanation of this functionality.
- Q: Do I have to Register to shop on your site?
- A: No you don’t have to register, you can use our Guest Checkout option. However, we do suggest registering, it will make your next visit to our website that much easier. Just log in and your information is there (bill-to and ship-to addresses, previously purchased items for easy reorder, Wish Lists and more). Our site it completely secure which means your information is safe. As an extra added layer of protection we do not store your credit card number in your account. You must enter that every time you place an order.
- Q: What's "Easy Reorder"?
- A: Registered customers can use this feature to save items for Easy Reordering. It functions like a private Wishlist. Any item you purchase while logged in is automatically added to your list. You can also add an item manually/save it for later using the "Easy Reorder" button that appears near the "Add to Cart" button when logged in. To access and re-order saved items, go into "My Account" then "Easy Reorder."
- Q: Why won't my Username and Password work?
- A: Some possibilities:
- Do you have an account? You must choose to create one on our website (usually during checkout). Just placing an order with us, online or off, does not automatically create an account for you. If not, register for a new account.
- Check your CAPS lock key. Passwords are CASE-sensitive.
- If you forgot your password, you can reset it with the "Forgot Password" link.
- Q: What are your current shipping rates? Can I get Express Delivery?
- A: We do offer express shipping to most locations. You can see our current shipping rates,options and policies on our Shipping page.
- Q: I live outside the USA. Do you ship orders internationally?
- A: Yes we do! Accurate shipping charges for International shipping will display in the shopping cart. (Shipping cost is subject to offline verification and our Customer Service will contact you if there are any changes before shipping your order.) Most International orders ship via USPS Priority Mail International. Please note that all prices on our website are in US dollars. Your purchase may be subject to duties and taxes from your local government. Eagle America cannot be responsible for these charges and we encourage you to check with local authorities PRIOR to ordering.
- Q: Can I track my order on-line using this site?
- A: Yes. You can track orders submitted ONLINE ONLY on our Tracking page. You will need your Order Number, E-mail address from the order, and zip code for verification. You will also receive an email shipment confirmation that will list the method of shipment and tracking number. You can then log in to the respective carriers' websites to track your package online. You can also email or call Eagle America Customer Service and we can provide you will the tracking information that we have for your order.
- Q: I ordered an item from the site that was backordered, how will it be processed?
- A: Nobody hates backorders more than we do. We try our best to forecast product demand and to have items in stock when you want them. At times, due to a seasonal rush or over-demand, backorders may occur. If an item is backordered, there will be a message next to the line item telling you it is backordered and, if it has already been ordered, when we expect it in stock. Inventory is updated multiple times a day during normal business hours. For up to the minute inventory status you can contact Eagle America Customer Service. So, feel free to order items that are on backorder. No need to worry about paying for it now, as with all orders we take we only bill you for an item when it has actually shipped.
- Q: What is your product warranty?
- A: Your satisfaction is our top priority.
All items are warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the product. Excludes products that have been altered or need resharpening. Eagle America assumes no liability for damages or injury caused by misuse. Loss or damages are limited to full refund of purchase price only.
- Returns of non-defective merchandise as determined by our staff are subject to a 10% restocking fee (minimum restocking fee $2.00)
- Power tools are limited to manufacturers' warranty.
- Q: What is your policy for returns or exchanges?
- A: We are not satisfied unless you are. If for any reason you have a problem, simply return the items with a copy of your invoice. Please follow the instructions on the back of the invoice. Ship to:
c/o Returns Department
2381 Philmont Ave Ste 107
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Please allow 7-10 business days to process your return. Returns of non-defective merchandise as determined by our staff are subject to a 10% restocking fee (minimum restocking fee $2.00).
- Q: How do I know what you do with my personal information? Am I safe ordering from you?
- Q: How do I know if your website is secure? Is my credit card information safe on your site?
- A: The information you provide to us (name and address, your password, credit card numbers, etc.) is transmitted across the Internet using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol. This means that all of the data is encrypted and cannot be intercepted by any third party. In most browsers, a padlock or key icon tells you that you're connected to a secure Web site as does the HTTPS at the start of the URL in the address bar.
- Q: I am stumped! Can you help me figure out how to make this tool work?
- A: No problem. Our woodworking pros are here to help. You can email your tech question to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We answer technical emails during regular business hours, Monday - Friday only. Please allow approximately 1 business day for a response. You can call the Eagle America Customer Service Department and ask for a woodworker and they'll be happy to help. Also check out our Product Videos and Instructions pages.
- Q: Do you have any router safety tips you can share?
- Sure do.
Router Safety Chart - Suggested Speeds:
Bit Diameter Max Speed up to 1" 24000 RPM 1-1/16" to 2" 18000 RPM 2-1/16" to 2-1/2" 16000 RPM 2-9/16" to 3" 14500 RPM over 3" 12000 RPM
Router Safety Tips:
- Always wear eye and ear protection.
- Always use properly sharpened bits.
- Never use bits that are dull or damaged.
- Shank must be completely inserted into collet and then backed-off approximately 1/16".
- Don't "bottom-out" bit in collet.
- Never partially insert bit into collet. Minimum 1" of shank needs to be in collet.
- Tighten bit securely and recheck periodically for possible slippage or "run-out" due to wear.
- Keep collet clean and replace if worn.
- Never start the router with the bit in contact with wood.
- Always feed your work or router in the proper direction against the bit rotation.
- Don't force feed the bit or overload your router, Feed at a constant moving speed to avoid burning the wood.
- Do not face tool's discharge when operating.
- Always unplug router when changing bits or making adjustments.
- Use a router table and fence whenever possible.
- Make sure your work piece is properly secured and use push blocks, sticks and featherboards whenever possible.
- Keep all your bits, bearings and assemblies clean, lubricated, and securely fastened. To avoid damage, store them properly in a pouch, box or tray.
- The bigger the bit, the lower RPM recommended (see chart).
- Q: Do you have any Forster Bit tips you can share?
- Sure do.
Forstner Bit Speed Recommendations
Bit Diameter Max RPM in Soft Woods Max RPM in Hard Woods 1/4" to 3/8" 2400 700 1/2" to 5/8" 2400 500 3/4" to 1" 1500 500 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" 1000 250 1-3/8" to 2" 500 250 2-1/8" + 250 250
Forstner Bit Maintenance
- Do not run your bits too fast, causing them to overheat.
- Forstner Bits are made for nice, clean, precise holes and have limited uses in hand-drills. Ideally, these bits should be used in a drill press
- The best way to keep your Forstner Bits clean and in good operating order is accomplished by a good drilling technique. As you bore into a piece or material, pull the bit back up to the top rim of the hole to evacuate the chips created by the rim of the bit, just the chippers. Forstner bits do not have flutes on them to remove the chips so it is necessary to do this approximately every 20 seconds of drill time.
- Most Forstner Bits come ready to use but honing the chipper will improve their cutting action and longevity.
- Hone only the flat portion of the chipper using a diamond hone or sharpening stone. Start by using a 1000 Grit and working your way up to a 4000 Grit.
- The rim of the bit can be sharpened using a round stone or diamond hone.
- Remember not to change original cutting angle on your bit and keep the chippers slightly lower than the rim so that the rim cuts the edges of any fibers before the chippers remove any material.