Steel Forstner Bits
Made of high quality carbon steel with Sure-Grip Hex Shanks for better holding power. Cut clean-sided, flat bottom holes. Use in wood or wood composite material. Sizes 1" and larger feature a saw tooth multi-spur design that keeps the cutting edge cool and eliminates burning. Bits are 3-5/8" long and have 3/8" diameter heat treated shanks for use with drill presses or hand drills. Sizes greater than 2-1/8" have 1/2" shanks. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
Forstner Bit Speed Recommendations
|Bit Diameter||Max RPM in Soft Woods||Max RPM in Hard Woods|
|1/4" to 3/8"||2400||700|
|1/2" to 5/8"||2400||500|
|3/4" to 1"||1500||500|
|1-1/8" to 1-1/4"||1000||250|
|1-3/8" to 2"||500||250|
Forstner Bit Maintenance
- Do not run your bits too fast, causing them to overheat.
- Forstner Bits are made for nice, clean, precise holes and have limited uses in hand-drills. Ideally, these bits should be used in a drill press
- The best way to keep your Forstner Bits clean and in good operating order is accomplished by a good drilling technique. As you bore into a piece or material, pull the bit back up to the top rim of the hole to evacuate the chips created by the rim of the bit, just the chippers. Forstner bits do not have flutes on them to remove the chips so it is necessary to do this approximately every 20 seconds of drill time.
- Most Forstner Bits come ready to use but honing the chipper will improve their cutting action and longevity.
- Hone only the flat portion of the chipper using a diamond hone or sharpening stone. Start by using a 1000 Grit and working your way up to a 4000 Grit.
- The rim of the bit can be sharpened using a round stone or diamond hone.
- Remember not to change original cutting angle on your bit and keep the chippers slightly lower than the rim so that the rim cuts the edges of any fibers before the chippers remove any material.